Which computer do you choose when going back to school? Laptops or tablets? It’s a mixed reaction out there and is the hottest question on every student’s mind. Ultimately both will get you to your PHD so it’s a matter of which one is best for you and your circumstances. Here are the factors to consider.
1. Price. It’s the obvious first consideration. Do your price comparison with all brands and between the two. Tablets will have the edge on this one. You can also rent computers or rent to own computers if your budget can’t handle a one-time big purchase. Shop your local rent to own stores for the best deals.
2. Mobility. How long does it take you to get to school? How far do you have to walk in between classes? What other items are you carrying along with a tablet and notebook. And where do you spend most of your time doing your homework?That’s a big factor when considering the easy on-the-go tablet or the more bulky lap tops.
3. Battery Life. You will need to know where your wireless will be coming from. Bluetooth or Wi Fi? Bluetooth uses less power thus better for tablets. Wi Fi uses more power so lap tops will be better for the battery life. You will also have to determine how long you will be cordless and on the Internet.
4. Software. What programs will you be using? Laptops are the work horses and tablets are limited. Are you using multiple programs such as word, powerpoint, excel and photo shop or just word and e-mail? That will help immensely in your decision.
5. Durability. Tablets are much more fragile even with their cases. How rough and tumble are you throughout the school day? And how long do you plan to keep this computer. Some brands like Apple outlast the others but are more expensive. Another important factor in your decision.
6. Speed and Storage. Laptops have the edge especially if you’re doing movies and photos.
But the biggest and best piece of advice is to do your homework. Look for the back to school specials. Compare pricing and always ask for the student discount on both hardware and software. Another factor is the upgrade. How long do you plan to keep this computer or do you always want the latest and greatest? Remember your local rent to own stores carry both laptops and computers. By renting to own, you can make sure you can get that new computer that fits your budget. Or you can just rent it and when you want to upgrade to a newer model just trade it in with no penalty.
Just another great ShopRTO computer tip.
ShopRTO provides consumers home living and decorating tips and promotes rent to own as a shopping option for affordable home furnishings.